AG Experimentelle Pädiatrie
About / Biography
- Dr. Fischer is a chemist with a profound research interest in pathobiochemical and pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic diseases.
- Dr. Fischer is available for student supervision
- The focus of our research is mechanisms of physiological and pathological mineralization processes. The homeostasis of calcium and phosphorous is under tight hormonal control with the skeleton serving as an active storage system. Chronic diseases and physiological aging, both have the potential to disturb this delicate hormonal balance and eventually trigger paradox mineralization. A second focus area is on non-pharmacological stimulation of bone health.
- Clinical research endeavors involve patient-based approaches to develop new biomarkers in chronic kidney diseases and type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- We are also actively involved in clinical approaches to study the impact of diabetes on endothelial/cardiovascular function, the musculoskeletal unit and ophthalmological changes.
- Department of Pediatrics, Hannover Medical School, Germany
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, UK
- Behrens M, Mau-Moeller A, Mueller K, Heise S, Gube M, Beuster N, Herlyn PK, , Bruhn S. Plyometric training improves voluntary activation and strength during isometric, concentric and eccentric contractions. J Sci Med Sport 2016;19: 170-6.
- Leifheit-Nestler M, Grosse Siemer R, Flasbart K, Richter B, Kirchhoff F, Ziegler WH, Klintschar M, Becker JU, Erbersdobler A, Aufricht C, Seeman T, , Faul C, Haffner D. Induction of cardiac FGF23/FGFR4 expression is associated with left ventricular hypertrophy in patients with chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2015 [Epub ahead of print].
- Behrendt AK, Kuhla A, Osterberg A, Polley C, Herlyn P, , Scotland M, Wree A, Histing T, Menger MD, Muller-Hilke B, Mittlmeier T, Vollmar B. Dietary Restriction-Induced Alterations in Bone Phenotype: Effects of Lifelong Versus Short-Term Caloric Restriction on Femoral and Vertebral Bone in C57BL/6 Mice. J Bone Miner Res 2016;31: 852-63.
- Osipova J, , Dangwal S, Volkmann I, Widera C, Schwarz K, Lorenzen JM, Schreiver C, Jacoby U, Heimhalt M, Thum T, Haffner D. Diabetes-associated microRNAs in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a cross-sectional cohort study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014;99: E1661-5.
- Doyon A, , Bayazit AK, Canpolat N, Duzova A, Sozeri B, Bacchetta J, Balat A, Buscher A, Candan C, Cakar N, Donmez O, Dusek J, Heckel M, Klaus G, Mir S, Ozcelik G, Sever L, Shroff R, Vidal E, Wuhl E, Gondan M, Melk A, Querfeld U, Haffner D, Schaefer F, Consortium CS. Markers of bone metabolism are affected by renal function and growth hormone therapy in children with chronic kidney disease. PLoS ONE 2015;10: e0113482.
- Steinmann M, Abbas C, Singer F, Casaulta C, Regamey N, Haffner D, , Simonetti GD. Arterial stiffness is increased in asthmatic children. Eur J Pediatr 2015;174: 519-23.
- Herlyn PK, Cornelius N, Haffner D, Zaage F, Kasch C, Schober HC, Mittlmeier T, . Fibroblast Growth Factor-23, Sclerostin, and Bone Microarchitecture in Patients With Osteoporotic Fractures of the Proximal Femur: A Cross-sectional Study. J Clin Densitom 2014 [Epub ahead of print].
- Heimhalt-El Hamriti M, Schreiver C, Noerenberg A, Scheffler J, Jacoby U, Haffner D, . Impaired skin microcirculation in paediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2013;12: 115.
- Schreiver C, Jacoby U, Watzer B, Thomas A, Haffner D, . Glycaemic variability in paediatric patients with type 1 diabetes on continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) or multiple daily injections (MDI): a cross-sectional cohort study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2013;79: 641-7.
- , Behets GJ, Hakenberg OW, Voigt M, Vervaet BA, Robijn S, Kundt G, Schareck W, D'Haese PC, Haffner D. Arterial microcalcification in atherosclerotic patients with and without chronic kidney disease: a comparative high-resolution scanning X-ray diffraction analysis. Calcif Tissue Int 2012;90: 465-72.
- Schaible J, Wigger M, Staude H, Drueckler E, Kundt G, Haffner D, . Serum fetuin-A and vitamin D in children with mild-to-severe chronic kidney disease: a cross-sectional study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012;27: 1107-13.
- Wei C, Trachtman H, Li J, Dong C, Friedman AL, Gassman JJ, McMahan JL, Radeva M, Heil KM, Trautmann A, Anarat A, Emre S, Ghiggeri GM, Ozaltin F, Haffner D, Gipson DS, Kaskel F, , Schaefer F, Reiser J. Circulating suPAR in two cohorts of primary FSGS. J Am Soc Nephrol 2012;23: 2051-9.
Complete list of publications available at PubMed